CPUC Public Participation Hearings
The California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) holds Public Forums (also called Public Participation Hearings or PPHs) to give the public a chance to learn about and express their opinions on issues before the CPUC. Each Public Forum is about a specific issue that is pending resolution at the CPUC, such as a utility’s request to change the rates that customers pay.
- Public Forums are free and open to the public. No RSVP is necessary to attend, but you must sign up when you arrive if you wish to speak.
- Public Forums are led by a CPUC Administrative Law Judge, and CPUC Commissioners may also attend.
- To ensure that consumers directly affected by a proceeding get a chance to express their views, the CPUC holds Public Forums in the area where a utility’s customers live to get their input, or may hold public webinars.
Upcoming Public Forums
Order Instituting Rulemaking Proceeding to Consider Amendments to General Order 133 (R.22-03-016)
The CPUC will hold remote public forums to provide an opportunity for the public, especially public customers of various telephone, mobile voice and Voice over the Internet Protocol (VoIP) service providers to communicate directly with the Commission regarding their voice services, in particular as it relates to the issues raised in this proceeding.
You can also make your voice heard in this proceeding, and read the comments of others, on our online Docket Card comment section at apps.cpuc.ca.gov/c/R2203016.
- April 18, 2023: 2-4:30 p.m. AND 6 p.m.
- May 3, 2023: 2-4:30 p.m. AND 6 p.m
WHERE: Remote access via webcast or phone for all public forums, as follows:
- Live video broadcast with English or Spanish captions via webcast: www.adminmonitor.com/ca/cpuc
- o Participants who choose to participate via webcast will only have audio and video capabilities but will not be able to make verbal comments. If you would like to make a comment during the meeting, the phone-in information is below.
- o For captions, after clicking on the name of the event, click the green button at the bottom of the video for captions. Then select captions by clicking on the white icon next to the word “live” at the bottom of the video.
- The forums will also be recorded and archived for future viewing.
- English Phone: 1-800-857-1917, passcode: 1767567#
- Spanish Phone: 1-800-857-1917, passcode: 3799627#
- Participants will have audio in English or Spanish and will be able to make comments. (To make a comment, after entering the passcode, when prompted press *1, unmute your phone, and record your name.)
- Wait times depend on the number of speakers in the public comment queue. During times of high call volumes, wait times will be longer. The operator will call on you when it is your turn to speak.
Please check the calendar for any other upcoming events.
Information About Participating
Can My Participation Make a Difference in a Decision?
Yes! The CPUC wants to hear from the public. Public comments are taken into consideration by the Commissioners and Administrative Law Judge in their decision-making.
- Public comment may raise issues and concerns that influence how a project or issue is analyzed and what decision gets made.
- Even if you don’t plan to comment, attending a Public Forum provides an opportunity to learn about topics that are pending at the CPUC and hear the positions of others.
Tips for Attending and Speaking at a Public Forum
At the beginning of a Public Forum, an Administrative Law Judge provides an overview of the CPUC process and the issue to be discussed. There may also be a presentation to the audience about the utility’s proposal. From there, most of the meeting is reserved for the public to provide comments and share their perspective about the issue.
If you wish to speak, please keep the following in mind:
- Elected officials attending a Public Forum are usually allowed to speak first.
- We recommend you call in at least 15 minutes early to join the virtual queue to speak.
- If there is a significant number in the virtual queue to speak, the Administrative Law Judge may set a time limit in order to allow everyone a chance to speak.
- There will be a CPUC court reporter present to record your comments for the record.
- Attendees are expected to be respectful of others’ opinions.
- Often, the Administrative Law Judge will not be able to answer questions at the Public Forum because of legal reasons. They may refer you to a utility representative or CPUC staff.
If I Can’t Participate in Person, Can I Still Make a Comment?
Yes! If you can’t attend a Public Forum in person, you can still make comments:
Use the Docket Card where you can also read the comments of others.
Contact the Public Advisor’s Office:
Call: 866-849-8390 or 415-703-2074 TTY 866-836-7825
Write: CPUC Public Advisor’s Office, 505 Van Ness Ave., San Francisco, CA 94102
Language interpretation is available
The CPUC can provide language interpreters and/or American Sign Language interpreters at a CPUC event. Please send a request to the Public Advisor’s Office at least three business days before the event. The CPUC will provide these services at no-cost.
To see a list of prior public participation hearings, check out this page.
This website allows consumers to view the residential electric rates for any geographic area in a comparison chart.